We all love to eat on the couch. Lets face it, the coffee table is the new dinner table. Yet not all meals are couch-friendly, so Burrow's bringing you couch eats to keep your belly full and your couch clean.
This week we're tackling breakfast! Follow along for our current must-have, couch-friendly morning recipes.
Photo credit: Pinterest
1. Watermelon Smoothie
Summer may have come and gone, but the crave for melon-y is still here. This watermelon smoothie is the most refreshing way to start your day. You'll need:
1 cup fresh watermelon (cubed and seedless)
1/3 cup cubed kiwi
1/2 ripe banana (pop it in the freezer beforehand and it will make your smoothie thicker!)
1/2 cup coconut milk
1/2 cup ice
1 tablespoon chia seeds
- Add all ingrediants into blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour into glass and garnish with chia seeds and a watermelon sliver if you're feelin' fancy.
- Pop in a straw and plop on your couch.
Photo credit: Ngaio Parr
2. Chive & Onion Quiche
For all you healthy couch potatoes we bring you a low-cal, low-carb, vegetarian, gluten-free option. The upside? You get to eat multiples of these in one sitting (and look good doing it).
1/2 onion, diced
1 Tbsp. butter
6 large eggs
6 egg whites
1/4 cup milk
1/2 cup cottage cheese
3 Tbsp. fresh chives
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Throw your chopped onion into a greased pan and heat until carmelized.
- Whisk eggs in mixing bowl and stir in milk, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- Stir cottage cheese, parsley and chives into egg mix.
- Grab a mini-skillet (or muffin tin if you don't own a skillet) and grease with non-stick spray.
- Add carmelized onions into the bottom.
- Pour egg mixture on top, making sure the ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Bake at 375 for 20 minutes, or until the eggs seem fully set.
- Let cool, cut out a slice, take it over to your couch, turn on the morning news and enjoy your guilt-free breakfast.
Photo credit: Man Repeller
3. Burrow Breakfast Sammy
Behold: the breakfast sandwich of your dreams. The sweetness from the applewood-smoked bacon and the subtle spice from the pimento cheese will bring tears of joy to your eyes.
1 sourdough english muffin (or buttermilk biscuit if you're feeling crazy)
2 slices applewood-smoked bacon
2 eggs, scrambled
1 slice white or regular cheddar cheese (your preference)
2 tablespoon pimento cheese
- Preheat your oven to 350.
- Heat up your frying pan and add in your bacon. Cook on medium heat until nice and crispy. Remove from pan and let bacon rest on a paper towel.
- Pour your bacon grease into a mason jar and pop in the fridge (you'll thank me the next time you use it to grease a pan for srambled eggs- it's heavenly).
- Whisk your eggs together in a bowl and pour in a splash of milk (this makes them nice and fluffy).
- Pour your eggs in the same pan you cooked your bacon in (bacon grease is LIFE).
- While your eggs are cooking, pop your english muffin into the oven with the slice of cheese on one half. Let it heat up for a few minutes.
- Take out your english muffin and start building your sandwich- spread your pimento cheese on the other half of the muffin. Add on your eggs and bacon and voila your breakfast sammy is complete.
- Wrap the bottom half (where you hold it) with a paper towel. Stroll back over to your couch and enjoy.